Sunday 3 August 2014

PRESS ASSOCIATION DIARIES IV: Media Law: At least it's in "Public Interest"

Libel
Defamation by written or printed words, or in any form other than spoken words or gestures.
Slander
CBA - No one sues for slander.

I write this acutely aware of the threat of libel, slander, copyright, contempt, or any other legal action that might see me locked up or penniless before I even qualify as a journalist.

We've spent a welcomed day away from the Press Association revising for our media law mock tomorrow. What this really means is that we've spent the day reminding ourselves of just why we should never write anything again.

Essentially the law is on ever other f*****'s side – except the journalist's.  For a while learning media law felt quite Ally McBeal and kind of cool to know at least some of what keeps us all in line - well most journalists (libel by innuendo? Who knows... sue me.) At least in the likely event that we are sued, we have some kind of knowledge of what might defend us against the oppressive monsters (libel)I guess it's good to know your enemy.

That said, I've been facing a more immediate enemy in the form of subbing (←Probs ungrammatical). Just no. I've thoroughly enjoyed and benefited from the liberalisation of education but they could at least teach you grammar! Any previous PMA-ers will understand the pain endured whilst trying to sub Keith's Wolves masterpiece. God forbid he uses another of my passive sentences from this post as subbing bait.

FYI GIFS ARE A COMPLETE INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT